Perfect Tart Pastry (for desserts)
265g plain flour
160g butter, slightly softened
70mL cold water
7mL white vinegar
40g caster sugar
1. Pulse flour, butter, salt and sugar until it creates a dry crumb.
2. Add chilled water and vinegar and mix until it forms a ball.
3. Flatten the pastry onto some cling wrap and wrap around well. Refrigerate until firm.
4. Roll out pastry. (I find it easier to roll out the pastry in between two large pieces of cling wrap. This means that if the pastry is sticky it will smooth out easily and not stick to your roller. It also allows you to achieve an even and thin sheet of pastry).
5. Now put the pastry into your tin and put into the edges and along the sides.
6. Now using your rolling pin, roll along the top of the edges to break away the pastry cleanly.
7. Now refrigerate until firm.
8. Using a form, prick the base and then blind bake. (This requires you to put baking paper inside the dough and pour either dry beans or rice inside. This prevents the pastry from puffing up. Once the pastry is set you remove the beans/rice and let the pastry brown. Keep the beans/rice in a container and continue to reuse them as your blind baking weights)
9. Bake in a 180 degree oven for 15 mins, take out beans/rice and continue to bake until golden brown (approx 10 mins).