food, travel, photography, friends, life

Fresh Scallop & Prawn Spaghetti

I love making fresh pasta! I just have to state that, and until I went to Italy two years ago and learn from my friend who lived in Milan, I did not realise how easy it is. Super easy, but you really need to have patience once you form the dough and knead like crazy. I’m talking at least 10 minutes to make a super springy, glossy, smooth ball of dough. Once rested for half an hour it is all steam ahead and you will have fresh pasta in no time.

Your pasta maker will have a whole heap of different size profiles but once you start you need the flat profile open to the widest, this is to start the flattening process. After this is done close the gap two notches and then afterwards 2 notches again until you have quite a thin sheet of pasta. (throughout this whole process you must continually wipe the sides with flour to avoid it sticking on the pasta maker and ripping. Disaster!

If it has not ripped and is thin you can decide on the type of pasta you would like to make, for this recipe and most seafood or light sauced recipes spaghetti is a great option. Slowly feed your pasta sheet through the spaghetti profile and wind until it is all cut up then add more flour and with your hand grab the pasta lift up and drop, lift up and drop so that the pasta separates. Put into bundles and let it rest while you prepare your sauce.

This sauce is one that I just whipped up with a mystery bag a friend bought over, so you can use an type of seafood you like, including shellfish, bugs, prawns, mussels etc. Just remember with seafood the one thing that is a must is fresh parsley. I am very lucky we have an abundant supply in my backyard so it was just a quick trip downstairs and not up to the shops for half dead stuff. Other ingredients that are complimentary with fresh seafood pastas include chilli and garlic, but today we were adding some truffle oil to finish, so I went without as I did not want them to overpower. Instead I just added some fresh truss tomatoes and a whole lot of mushrooms.

One thing I do stress is that once you make the pasta it MUST be undercooked slightly as you need to stir it through the sauce for at least a minute so it can absorb those flavours, hence it will continue to cook, so if you want perfect pasta don’t hesitate and take it out.

NB: one last thing….. fresh pasta will always taste better the day after as it has had all that time to absorb the flavours of the sauce.

Fresh Scallop & Prawn Spaghetti

fresh pasta (serves 8)

600g ‘oo’ flour

6 eggs

1. Put the flour in a bowl and then make a well in the centre. Crack the eggs in the centre and then using a fork lightly whisk the eggs together.

2. Start combining the flour then use your hands to form the dough. Knead until the dough is very springy, shiny and smooth (approx 10 mins).

3. Let dough rest for 30 mins before cutting it.

4. Cut the dough into eight small balls and using the largest setting on the flat profile of your pasta maker, push the balls through. Dust discs of dough with flour.

5. Close the gap by two stops then put the dough through again. Dust discs with flour.

6. Close the gap to the thinnest or second thinnest setting (whichever you prefer) and slowly pass the dough through without ripping it. Dust with flour.

7. Using the spaghetti setting pass each disc through then sprinkle with flour. Using your hands separate the pasta by picking it up and dropping it, then leave the eight piles to rest until the sauce prep is done.

8. Cook pasta in salted water, take off and strain just before ‘al dente’ (as it will continue to cook in the sauce and you do not want soggy pasta). Set aside to cool.

sauce

600g baby scallops (frozen is fine, just thaw before using)

600g whole green prawns, shelled and cleaned

3 large truss tomatoes, diced

500g mushrooms, diced

2 large handfuls of parsley (although you can never have enough)

50g butter

truffle oil to drizzle

1. Before using the seafood pat it dry as it will release a lot of liquid which you do not want.

2. Melt the butter in a pan over a medium heat and add the mushrooms. Cook until soft. Add the tomatoes and cook until softened.

3. Add the scallops and cook them for 3 minutes then add the prawns. When the prawns are nearly done add the parsley and stir through.

4. Add pasta and stir through for a good couple of minutes so the pasta absorbs the flavours of the sauce.

5. Serve then drizzle with truffle oil.

About these ads

18 responses

1. I’ve never made fresh pasta – I really want to get myself a pasta machine though. I shall try to find a reasonably priced one. Your pasta certainly looks delicious, as does this dish. It;s right up my street.

November 3, 2011 at 8:42 pm

• I was actually lucky and borrowed the pasta maker from a friend 2 years ago….and really should return it soon so I can buy my own. I think investing in a good Italian one is a must though.

November 3, 2011 at 8:44 pm

2. I love homemade pasta! This looks fabulous.

November 4, 2011 at 1:07 am

3. A friend once gave me a hand-me-down pasta maker and I never used it. Ended up giving it away. Just no patience I guess, but your sauce looks amazing. :-)

November 4, 2011 at 3:10 am

• A couple of weeks ago I actually bought fresh pasta from the farmer’s markets and it was also amazing, without the hassle…I would now go out of my way to buy fresh pasta instead of using dried if I did not have time to make it fresh.

November 4, 2011 at 6:14 am

4. I love the fresh pasta to, is one of my favorite things at kitchen!!

The scallop are so great…I want it!!!

Delicious ;)

November 4, 2011 at 3:11 am

• Yes the scallops were delicious, very small though. I wish I had some aji amarillo so I could make ceviche but I was out, and it is not the easiest ingredient to come by in Sydney unfortunately.

November 4, 2011 at 6:15 am

5. I think I’ll stick with trying the sauce first and then use store-bought pasta. I can’t let this seafood pasta sauce get away. I have to serve this for my husband. It really looks so delish! I can perhaps try the fresh pasta recipe when I am a little more skilled. Thanks for posting! Love this dish!

November 5, 2011 at 12:25 am

• Yes it is off putting. I you want to buy fresh pasta there is a company called Pastabilities in Sydney who sell in many stores and their pasta is fabulous.

November 5, 2011 at 7:07 am

6. kat

This looks amazing!

November 5, 2011 at 4:05 pm

7. I envy your pasta cutter! I have to do it by hand… makes me so sore (esp. when i make a huge batch) the next day!

Amanda

November 7, 2011 at 5:46 am

• Oh yeh it came in the paster maker pack, I’m sure you would be able to pick one up at a homewares store….super handy.
      Last time I made ravioli I did do it by hand and used a fork to press the edges but I remember most came unstuck, it was not fun.

November 7, 2011 at 5:57 am

8. MMMMMMMM,..From time to time, I also make my fresh pasta! there is nothing better then that,…only sex!
    Your pasta dish looks so comforting & special too! Festive even! I so much love scallops too! :)

November 9, 2011 at 8:13 am

• Thanks Sophie, for me that is like fresh bread out of the oven, not many things beat it. Glad you like this recipe!

November 13, 2011 at 9:06 am

9. Hello! Amazing photos and beautiful words, congratulations! I will try to make fresh pasta by following your instructions:)

November 17, 2011 at 4:55 am

• I am sure you will do a great job. Let me know how it goes….I really like your blog by the way, especially the vegie and meat lasagne mmm

November 17, 2011 at 6:05 pm

10. Ivy

Your pasta dish sounds amazing and love it combined with seafood.I love making fresh pasta but unfortunately my pasta machine makes only tagliatelle.

November 25, 2011 at 7:21 pm

• If you had the time you could just roll it thin and use a knife to cut thin spaghetti strips….a lot of work I know but could work.

November 25, 2011 at 7:28 pm